Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Suddenly Seymour

Uh.

Can we say that Mr. Dude has some really odd taste in movies?

This weekend, he decided that Little Shop of Horrors was on the docket, thanks to Amazon Prime's list of Popular Movies.

Might I suggest the sheer fact that a bunch of other people decided to watch it does NOT make it a "good movie", nor one that should be popular?

Seriously. A giant, people-eating plant from outer space that looks suspiciously like a Venus fly trap and named the Audrey II?

Movie Poster
Mr. Dude would like to point out that this version (yes, there were multiples! on and off Broadway and film!) came out in 1986. 

Therefore, it is (supposedly) good. 



Anyone think it's a tad bit on the tacky side? (*cough!* *sarcasm!* *cough!*)

Mr. Dude likes just about anything that came from the 80's and 90's. He considers that to be a strength. I, um, do not. 

But this one is a conundrum for me. 

I, for one, like musicals. As in, I've seen a lot of them. As in, I can sing the songs or remember the quotes from a lot of them. As in, I was skeptical of Wicked being as good as everyone claimed it was simply because I had seen so many truly amazing musicals. 

I also like oldies music. It's one of my default musical genres for listening to at any time (although I do make fun of my parents for how some of their favorites like Chicago and Journey keep showing up on the free stages at the fair). 

So Little Shop of Horrors is a musical. Offbeat. Weird. But a musical. 

AND it has Levi Stubbs playing the part of the Audrey II. Yeah, I couldn't remember who he was, either. That's what Wikipedia is for. He was the lead singer of The Four Tops with such hits as "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" and "Baby I Need Your Lovin'". 

Oh, and we'll just throw in Rick Moranis (dad on Honey, I Shrunk the Kids), Steve Martin and Bill Murray because we can. 

Great lineup. Great genre of movie. Fantastic singing ability. 

Still very, very, VERY tacky. 

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhh ......

Do I have to like it? 

Okay. Fine. I'll say I do. But I don't want to. 

Just don't tell Mr. Dude. He'll be all giddy about the chance to say, "I told you so!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear upon approval. Let's keep it clean and family-friendly, people!